Training is held Monday thru Friday from 6:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M.There is a very strict attendance policy.
Applications for session 12, will be accepted beginning Dec 1, 2016 and are due no later than Sept 1, 2017. Please be advised that space is limited and applications should be submitted ASAP. SFO classes for next session will begin October 2016, with LEO beginning Jan 2017. For questions please contact Abbie Buell at (435) 652-7916.
The following information will help you understand the registration process for the Dixie State University Regional Peace Officer and Standards Academy. Before completing this information, make sure you qualify to attend the academy. Check the Academy Prerequisites and Application Process pages of this website and the Utah POST website under prospective officers.
If you are SFO or Corrections certified and interested in the LEO block please contact your department defensive tactics instructor. You will need to obtain the latest information from them to succeed in the LEO block.
For those interested in the Law Enforcement Officer block you must have completed the Special Function Officer (SFO) block or the Corrections block, and will be required to take the LEO Entrance Exam.
The DSU Regional Academy does not offer the Emergency Vehicle Operations Training. After a student graduates and is employed by an agency they need to attend the Utah POST EVO training held at POST. Please inform any potential employers of this. It will be the students responsibility to inform employers and potential employers of this. You can not be certified until you have completed the EVO.
For those who are in the current Dixie State University POST session, please contact the director for registration information.
GENERAL DIRECTIONS FOR REGISTRATION
Please follow the below directions to complete the registration process for the DSC Regional Police Academy.
1. Go to the Utah Post website at http://publicsafety.utah.gov/post/ and review the section under the “Prospective Officers” heading. Under this heading check the qualifications, legal requirements and disqualifiers subheadings and make sure you can pass each category.
2. Make sure you are in good physical condition to pass the physical training test. If you can’t pass the exit test, you will not be able to graduate from the Academy and there will not be a refund for failing any part of the academy. You need to be able to pass the SFO entrance physical training test (PT). The entrance PT test dates will be held prior to the start of the SFO session. If you can’t pass the PT test your application will not be accepted.
3. Students must be enrolled into DSU and should contact an academic advisor for further enrollment information. Students can receive up 17 credit hours.Students who are applying for financial aid will be required to complete the College Placement Test (CPT) upon addmission.
Certificates of completion will not be issued to those who have not passed any part of the academy or who are not paid in full.
The physical test is as follows:
1.5 Mile Run – 16:11
Push Ups – 14 Reps (Maximum repetitions with no time constraint and no rest during this phase of the test)
Vertical Jump – 14.5 inches
Sit-Up – 23 reps (One Minute)
NOTE: 300 Meter is not part of the SFO entrance
SFO Exit / LEO Entrance:
1.5 Mile Run – 15:37
Push Ups – 16 Reps (Maximum repetitions with no time constraint and no rest during this phase of the test)
Vertical Jump-15 inches
Sit-Up-25 reps (One Minute)
300 Meter 70 seconds
Vertical Jump – 17.5 inches
Sit-Up – 29 Reps in one minute
300 Meter – 64 seconds
Push ups – 21 (Maximum repetitions with no time constrant and no rest during this phase of the test)
1.5 Mile Run – 14:46
4. Cadets who have attended a SFO block prior to to the start of the given class, and are interested in the LEO block, will be required to take the LEO Entrance Exam (Contact Abbie Buell to make arrangment). For those attending an SFO block you need to take the Peace Officer Selection Test (NPOST) at the Dixie State University Testing Center. Check the Testing Center web site at http://new.dixie.edu/testing/post.php. The SFO block is a prerequisite for the LEO block.
5. Complete the POST application and make at least two copies for yourself. Directions for completing the application can be found at http://www.utahpost.org/knowlegebase/applicant. Make sure you follow all the directions and give complete answers to every question. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. You do not need to do the drug screen.
Applications are accepted from May 1st to August 15th of each year.
6. Go to the Dixie State University (DSU) Website. You will need to complete a Dixie State University application. If you are a current student at DSU this is not necessary. There are three types of applications. If you are only planning on attending the academy, complete the special admission form. If you are planning on completing a degree, complete the regular DSC application. If you have been a past student at DSC but have not attended for more than a year please complete the re-admission process. After you have completed this process the Registrar’s Office will assign you a student ID number. You will need this number to pay the application fee and the non-refundable deposit if you are just starting the DSU Police Academy.
7. Go to the DSU Cashier’s Office and pay a $200 non-refundable deposit, plus a fee for your admission. If you applied for the special admission the fee will be $5.00. If you applied for regular admission (Degree Seeking) the fee will be $35.00. If you have been a prior student at DSC the re-admission fee is $10.00. Notify the cashier that you are registering for the DSU Police Academy and tell them which block, SFO or LEO.
8. Call Abbie Buell (652-7916) for an appointment to review your POST application with you and start background investigation. If the application does not meet all the listed requirements on the POST webpage it will NOT be accepted. You will also need the receipt showing that you have paid the $200.00 non-refundable deposit. If your application is accepted, continue to number 8.
9. If the application is accepted Abbie Buell will add you into the course. Go back to the cashiers’ office and pay the balance of $1550.00 for the SFO block, $850.00 for the BCO block, or $3400.00 for the LEO block.
NOTE: The DSU Regional Police Academy is not the final approval to attend the Academy. The final approval is from Utah POST.
Students failing to complete registration WILL BE DROPPED and replaced by alternates.
BY August 15th you will need to bring receipts indicating official DSU ADMISSIONS completion.
You must be in the authorized uniform the first night. For the SFO Block you need all SFO uniforms and for the LEO Block you need all SFO and LEO items.
Do not wear your firearm to class unless instructed to do so by the director.
If you are unable to attend this session of the Academy, contact the Academy IMMEDIATELY at 435-652-7916. Please let us know so that we may pull your file and allow an alternate to attend in your place.
If you have general questions regarding the above information, call the Academy 435-652-7916.