Training is held Monday thru Friday from 1800 to 2200 (6:00 PM to 10:00 PM).
There is a very strict attendance policy.
Applications for session 16, will be accepted beginning January 1, 2021 with a deadline of August 13, 2021. Please be advised that space is very limited and applications should be submitted ASAP. SFO classes for next session will begin September 2021, with the LEO session beginning January 2022. For questions or to check if seats are available, please contact Sarah Strickley at (435) 652-7916.
The following information will help you understand the registration process for the Dixie State University Regional Peace Officer and Standards Academy. Before completing this information, make sure you qualify to attend the academy. Check the Academy Prerequisites, Application Process pages of this website and the Utah POST Prospective Officers website.
If you are SFO or Corrections certified and interested in the LEO block please contact your department defensive tactics instructor. You will need to obtain the latest information from them to succeed in the LEO block.
For those interested in the Law Enforcement Officer block you must have completed the Special Function Officer (SFO) block or the Corrections block, and will be required to take the LEO Entrance Exam.
**The DSU Regional Academy does not offer the Emergency Vehicle Operations Training. After a student graduates and is employed by an agency they need to attend the Utah POST EVO training held at POST. Please inform any potential employers of this. It will be the students responsibility to inform employers and potential employers of this. You can not be certified until you have completed the EVO.
For those who are in the current Dixie State University POST session, please contact Sarah for registration information.
GENERAL DIRECTIONS FOR REGISTRATION
Please follow the below directions to complete the registration process for the DSU Regional Police Academy.
- Go to the Utah Post website at https://post.utah.gov/ and review the section under the “Basic Training & Prospective Officers” heading. Under this heading check the qualifications and legal requirements subheadings and make sure you can pass each category.
- Make sure you are in good physical condition to pass the physical training test. If you can’t pass the exit test, you will not be able to graduate from the Academy and there will not be a refund for failing any part of the academy. You need to be able to pass the SFO entrance physical training test (PT). The entrance PT test dates will be held prior to the start of the SFO session. If you can’t pass the PT test your application will not be accepted.
- Students must be enrolled into DSU. Students can receive up 19 credit hours. Students who are applying for financial aid will be required to complete the College Placement Test (CPT) upon admission.
Certificates of completion will not be issued to those who have not passed any part of the academy or who are not paid in full.
The physical test is as follows:
1.5 Mile Run – 16:11
Push-Ups – 14 Reps (Maximum repetitions with no time constraint and no rest during this phase of the test)
Vertical Jump – 14.5 inches
Sit-Up – 23 reps (One Minute)
SFO Exit / LEO Entrance:
1.5 Mile Run – 15:37
Push-Ups – 16 Reps (Maximum repetitions with no time constraint and no rest during this phase of the test)
Vertical Jump-15 inches
Sit-Up-25 reps (One Minute)
Vertical Jump – 17.5 inches
Sit-Up – 29 Reps in one minute
Push-ups – 21 (Maximum repetitions with no time constraint and no rest during this phase of the test)
1.5 Mile Run – 14:46
- Cadets who have attended a SFO block prior to to the start of the given class, and are interested in the LEO block, will be required to take the LEO Entrance Exam (Contact Sarah Strickley to make arrangement). For those attending an SFO block you need to take the Peace Officer Selection Test (NPOST) at the Dixie State University – Hurricane Education Center (435)652-7910. The SFO block is a prerequisite for the LEO block.
- Complete the POST application and make at least one copy for yourself. Directions for completing the application can be found at http://post.utah.gov. Make sure you follow all the directions and give complete answers to every question. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. You do not need to do the drug screen.
- Go to the Dixie State University (DSU) Website. You will need to complete a Dixie State University application, https://admissions.dixie.edu/all-you-need-to-be-admitted/. If you are a current student at DSU this is not necessary. Complete the regular DSU application. If you have been a past student at DSU but have not attended for more than a year please complete the re-admission process. After you have completed this process the Registrar’s Office will assign you a student ID number. You will need this number to pay the application fee and the non-refundable deposit if you are just starting the DSU Police Academy.
- Go to the DSU Cashier’s Office and pay a $200 non-refundable deposit, plus a fee for your admission. The student admission fee will be $35.00. Notify the cashier that this deposit is for the DSU Police Academy.
- Call Sarah Strickley at (435)652-7916 for an appointment to review your POST application with you and start background investigation. If the application does not meet all the listed requirements on the POST web-page it will NOT be accepted. You will also need the receipt showing that you have paid the $200.00 non-refundable deposit, and a copy given to Sarah Strickley.
- If the application is accepted, Sarah Strickley will register you into the course. Go back to the cashiers’ office or mydixie account and pay the balance of $1550.00 for the SFO block, or $3400.00 for the LEO block. If you are interested in a payment plan please contact Sarah Shurtliff at (435)879-4673.
NOTE: The DSU Regional Police Academy is not the final approval to attend the Academy. The final approval is given by Utah State POST.
Students failing to complete registration WILL BE DROPPED and replaced by alternates.
You must be in the authorized uniform the first night of class. For the SFO block you need all SFO uniforms and for the LEO block you need all SFO and LEO items.
Do not wear your firearm to class unless instructed to do so by the director.
If you are unable to attend this session of the Academy, contact Sarah IMMEDIATELY at (435)652-7916. Please let us know so that we may pull your file and allow an alternate to attend in your place.
If you have general questions regarding the above information, call the Academy (435)652-7916.